Higher Education Lecturer

To become a university lecturer you will need to have a good bachelor's degree (2.1 or above), possibly a masters, and ideally a PhD in the relevant  field, this is particularly relevant if you are considering teaching an academic subject.

Some lecturers will come to the profession with their first degree and a wealth of career experience, but will usually have done postgraduate study at least to MA level.

Those teaching vocational courses will be expected to have gained several years working experience.

You will also need to have evidence of  published research and willingness to participate at professional conferences and seminars.

You do not need a separate teaching qualification but you can go on to gain a qualification such as  the Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (PGCLTHE). This is an ‘in service’ route where you would undertake the qualification whilst you are working.

Last modified: 
Tuesday, March 1, 2016 - 14:09