Teaching Information for International Students

If you are an international student with a degree from a UK higher education institution (or equivalent), you can apply to do a post graduate initial teacher training course. You must have a very good standard of written and spoken English, and you must have the qualifications (or equivalent qualifications) required by the teacher training provider. 

Your tuition fees and any other bursary or financial support depend on your status as a home, European Union (EU) or overseas student. Find out more about EU status or overseas status

A teaching qualification gained in the UK may not qualify you to teach in your home country. If you are thinking of training in the UK and then teaching in your home country, check first in your own country to see whether UK qualifications are acceptable.

Do you hold an overseas teaching qualification? 

If you qualified as a teacher inside the European Union, mobility laws apply. This means you can access teaching positions in the same way as home-trained teachers. 

If you are a teacher who trained in Australia, Canada, New Zealand or USA and wish to teach in the UK, have a look at the Department for Education's teaching information for overseas qualified teachers. 

If you are a teacher from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or an experienced teacher who doesn’t have qualified teacher status (QTS) then you may be able to access the assessment only route to qualified teacher status.

Last modified: 
Thursday, August 13, 2020 - 12:02