Working While Studying

EU Students

EU and Swiss students are allowed to work in the UK and do not need to gain permission. If you have any queries contact the International Student Support Team, and read carefully the information on the UKBA website.

Tier 4 Students

There are conditions about how many hours an international student with a Tier 4 visa can work in term time and during vacations. You can check the rules by visiting

The National Minimum Wage

The National Minimum Wage is the minimum amount per hour that an employer must pay a worker. The rates (correct from 2018) are:

  • £7.38 per hour at age 21 -24. 
  • £5.90 per hour at age 18 to 20   

Where to find job vacancies

UniHub displays hundreds of summer and part-time jobs on and off campus, as well as graduate opportunities and internships. In addition to our database there are private recruitment agencies who display their vacancies online. Your faculty may hear about internships too and post a notice on your Blackboard site.

International Student Support

For help with any issues please go to Hallam Help in first instance.

In person

If you would like to speak to one of our advisors, visit Student Support Services reception on level 5 of the Owen Building at City Campus


You can email International Student Support at 


Call the team on 0114 225 2222

Last modified: 
Wednesday, September 11, 2019 - 12:26