If you want to build your interview skills and confidence, then you may find it helpful to book a 121 appointment with SHU Careers Connect. Once you have an interview date, you can also book a 'practice interview' by giving us a call (0114 225 3752). You can also check out our interview skills page here.
If you experience interview anxiety, then why not check out our video which is all about 'managing interview anxiety' and was created as part of the Mind Talk webinar series for students with mental health difficulties.
For students on the autistic spectrum, we've put together an online guide for you which you can view by clicking here.
Two funds that are known to be available for students with disabilities is the motability operations scholarship programme for undergraduates and the snowdon trust scholarships for future leaders applying for postgraduate study.
Access to Work
This is a government funded grant which provides flexible and individually tailored support to allow disabled people to compete on equal terms in the workplace. It can provide the following types of support:
- communication support / personal support at job interview
- adaptations to equipment or premises
- costs of travel if unable to use public transport
- workplace personal assistant or coach to help you in the workplace
- support service if you have a mental health condition
To be eligible for the grant, you must be 16 or over and either:
- about to start employment
- in a paid job or self employed (does not include voluntary work or unpaid placement)
You can find out more on the Access to Work website. You need to apply via the website to a central government department or by phone / text phone. In order to make an application you would need to disclose your disability to an employer.
Local Support Agencies
Jobcentre Plus employ Work coaches and specialist advisers who can offer:
- support to any disabled person in or out of work - including disabled graduates looking for work
- disabled students looking for part-time work or work experience
- support to sustain employment
- advice on Access to Work and range of other programmes
- advocacy, advice, occupational assessments
Other local agencies include:
Remploy - provides specialist employment support (referral through the advisers at the job centre) - tel. 0300 456 8020