A speculative application involves approaching an organisation about the possibility of working for them rather than applying to an advertised vacancy. Employers from the creative media/arts industry receive so many speculative applications that it makes advertising vacancies in the conventional manner almost unnecessary.
There is no such thing as a standard interview. All companies will have developed their own interviewing techniques which best meet their criteria for recruitment. For some, interviews will take the form of a one-to-one informal chat with the main focus being placed on your portfolio. Others will involve a more formal panel interview and a requirement for you the interviewee, to deliver a presentation. However, whatever style of interviewing is adopted it is likely that you will be asked a mixture of generic and job specific questions all tailored to examine your suitability for the job.
Typical interview questions may include:
- What do you know about this company?
- What are you looking for in a company?
- Why are you interested in this post?
- Why do you want to work for us?
- Can you give an example of when you have deat successfully with a conflict of interests?
- How well are you able to prioritise tasks – can you provide an example?
- What personal qualities can you bring to this role and the company in general
Creative industry specific
- Can you provide an example of when you have successfully followed through a creative/innovative idea from its original concept until its successful launch/exhibition?
- Give an example when you have presented your work to others and have had to deal with critical questioning from your audience. How did you approach your responses, and how successful were you in arguing your case?
- How is your work influenced? / What are the main influences in your work?
- How do you measure your own creative/design success?
- What major issues are currently affecting the creative industry?
Check out the CV, Application and Interview section for more information an all aspects of applying for jobs.